Sunday, April 13, 2008

Feeling like an aged wine today....


...maybe not such a great one either!

Saturday was one of the most glorious days Seattle has seen in many months! It's been at least 6 months since the weather was this nice....we hit 80! I took my son to Qwest Field to see the Dalai Lama, but I had no clue that we would be doing sooooo much walking. We parked about a mile away. Then the line to go through security was probably 3 blocks....but it kept moving pretty well. Once inside, we ran the maze (think of a rat maze) to get up to our seats. We were literally in the nosebleed area, I tell ya! Section 335, row LL and all the way at the end of lineup of seats...of course. Not only were the people down on the field the size of ants, it was really difficult to hear most of the speaking because of the reverb on the speakers. My poor son is hearing impaired and could not understand ANY of what was said. I felt bad after dragging him along for that 2 mile trek to and from the Field....but we made up for it later that evening!

My parents have finally retired after many years of running their own business and we celebrated Saturday evening. They've had many friends, neighbors and acquaintances cross both their paths. And they still remain very close to a lot of their childhood friends and neighbors! My youngest brother who is generally a confirmed bachelor put the entire retirement party thing together. He arranged the location (on the most gorgeous waterfront home near the Locks), set up the menu, did the shopping, cooking, arranged for parking etc. I'm so proud of him - I think he could actually pull off a wedding at this point! The guest list was over 100, and because the weather was nice, people ended up staying a LONG time....which was fine. The house has a basketball court and a handball court on the lower level -so all of the 'younger' attendees got to hang out either on the dock or in one of the courts playing. I ended up playing tennis for a good hour and am sooooo sore this morning! My back and arm aches even when I'm just sitting! I love our family and all the great memories that we have had - I feel really lucky to hang with such goofy but great people! Ernie - if you happen to read this, I owe you! I didn't think you could really do it all...and I will be inviting YOU to our next party (but only if you promise to make your famous Sangria for all)!

Our weekend isn't over yet though! We've got a birthday for my hubby today - unfortunately the sunshine is gone already and it's been sprinkling. :(

I did manage to put a card together this morning before anyone else got up - those lightweights can't handle a party like big mama can! LOL (I'm referring to myself as big mama, btw!)

This is for a challenge at World Win papers. I hope you like it! I haven't decide who it is going to, but I know I'm not keeping as many cards anymore - I make too many and need to get rid of them!

I hope you had a wonderful weekend and pray for more sunny skies in Seattle! Everyone is in such a good mood here when the sun is out!

No comments: